Popular Posts

Friday, April 10, 2015

Semi-retirement

April First, 2015 morning: 

A special day for me. I am officially in semi-retirement. I don't feel any different. I have to get up and go to work this morning. I still have to take the trash out. I still had to give myself my insulin shot and take my medicines. What changed this morning?

I do start getting retirement money soon, but from the date of your retirement to first check is SIX WEEKS, so it will be a while before I see the benefit of that. Funny how fast the government can get things rolling if you are delinquent on something like your taxes, but if they owe you, you have to get in line.


I guess it's kind of a declaration of independence of sorts. I've put in my time doing what others want me to do and now I get to do some of those things that I always wanted to do but couldn't because I had to work. Oh, I'll still work as long as I can simply because I can't imagine myself doing nothing, but now it's more voluntary and has greater purpose behind it. Those people I wanted to help, that service work I wanted to do, friends I wanted to visit, improvements to our quality of life that I could never get to. They all seem more within my reach today. We'll see how things go in the coming days, but basically, I am grateful that God has kept me around to experience this day at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.