Popular Posts

Monday, August 3, 2015

August 3, 2015: The Week of Lasts

     This is my week of lasts. On Friday, August 7th, I will be retiring from printing, so every day this week is the last time that I will get up and go in to work. For instance, today was the last Monday that I have to go and work in an inkjet crew. Two days ago was the last Saturday that I had to hurry up and get all my yard work done before the weekend ends. Tomorrow will be the last Tuesday that I have to run the inkjet crew while the regular operator takes the day off because of an anticipated hangover due to overdrinking at a concert tonight.
     I got to work this morning and was asked if I wanted to work there part time after I retire. I had approached the foreman about doing that earlier this year and was told that the only thing available was second shift running an inserter, which is a machine that I know, but don't particularly like to run. Evening is the only time I really get to spend with Pam, so I told him no thank you. Now, they say that I would be working first shift. They seem to be desperate. However, I have a lot of plans that I have been waiting all summer to put into place, so I'm not so keen about the idea of setting aside everything that was supposed to come "after I retire."
     For me, it is a time to put aside doing the things that other people want me to do and see if I can't do some of the things that I've wanted to do since I was very young, such as more writing. I have seven more short stories outlined, a novel about time travel, and a trilogy about a fascinating character that I created some thirty years ago. I believe that I can present these stories in entertaining ways that will make them palatable to the reading public. That list of work does not even include those stories that come to me at three in the morning or the odd contest stories that crop up. I hope to leave a legacy of written words that will leave you with one burning question in your mind....
     What in the WORLD is wrong with that guy?!

     Anyway, I will consider the offer at work, but it will have to be limited enough to allow me to do my writing, because in truth, I am not retiring at all. I am simply changing my profession from printer to writer. Wish me luck, please read what I write, and by all means, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.