Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

November 17th, 2020: The Presence

While searching deep within my soul,
My eyes were drawn to shadow.
A single dove of purest white
Did perch upon my window.
    I marveled at its silky cast
    And reached to touch its wing.
    She skittered back from my caress
    Ere I could soothe a thing.
        I saw a troubled broken heart
        And stretched an open hand,
        But every time I made a move
        The frightened bird just ran.
            Then bold at once, the bird flew in
            And landed in a mess.
            Its wings aflutter did upset
            The candle on my desk.
        The flame was hot; the fire did catch;
        The haunted bird did cry,
        And well before my feet could move
        I saw the creature die.
    The acrid smell of burning flesh
    My nose and eyes did sear,
    And leaning o'er the charred remains
    I bathed her with my tears,
For all I'd had was peace to give;
I'd never meant to harm,
But seeking to admire her
I'd cause her such alarm.
    I gathered up the crumpled form,
    And then was much surprised
    To feel the bird's misshapen shell
    Crack, stir, and then arise!
The form did open as an egg,
And from within revealed
A dove of silver shining through;
Its fears had all been healed.
    It cocked its head and peered at me,
    And wondered at my awe,
    And flew away with graceful wings
    Through dark's cold open maw.
I sat there staring deep in thought
About the things I'd seen;
I knew there was a message here,
But one I could not glean.
    There are such things beyond my touch
    That grip my heart with fear
    But even in  my darkness, He
    Reminds me that He's here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.